Birding Blitz 2012 -- April 28 - Donate Here!
At the Cache River Nature Fest Birding Blitz teams compete to see and hear the most species of birds in a 24-hour period, while raising money for conservation in southernmost Illinois. Teams can search for birds throughout the area of southernmost Illinois, from Jackson, Williamson, Saline, and Gallatin counties south through Union, Johnson, Pope, Hardin, Alexander, Pulaski, and Massac counties.
Pledge donations are used to help support wetland restoration efforts in the Cache River Watershed. Since these funds are used for bird habitat acquisition and management, our support helps birds and birders throughout Illinois and elsewhere. For more information, see http://www.cacherivernaturefest.org/blitz.
COS is sponsoring Team COS and also supporting two other Birding Blitz teams:
- As Team COS, Geoff and Chris Williamson will compete to find the most birds in Pope County.
- Craig Taylor and Steve Bailey are the County Hunters team, competing to find birds in Johnson County.
- Jeff Smith, Bob Carper and Joan Norek comprise the DuPage Dippers competing in Saline County.
In addition to pledging $100 to each team, plus $2/species for each species over 100 found, COS will divide any extra donations made by members equally among the three teams.
If you would like to make a donation in support of the teams, please contribute using our PayPal system and note you're supporting the Blitz. Alternatively you can send donations to Friends of the Cache River to Chicago Ornithological Society, 10th Floor – #C980, 28 East Jackson Building, Chicago, IL 60604. (Please remember to use “Building” rather than Street.)
If you would like to support a specific team, you can contribute to them directly:
- The County Hunters are taking pledges either in the form of a flat sum, or an amount of money per species (like 10-50 cents). Pledges can be sent to Craig Taylor or Steve Bailey at 967 Braeburn Rd., Mundelein 60060). Make the check out to "Friends of the Cache River". The County Hunters expect to find between 130 and 150 species.
- To pledge specifically to the DuPage Dippers, you can use the on-line paypal pledge form for donations at www.noreklaw.com/birdingblitz.htm